From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what to use for a pppoe client?
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 19:27:27
1 Am 04.04.2015 um 14:32 schrieb lee:
2 > Which package would you recommend? There seem to be at least two I
3 > could use:
6 > net-dialup/ppp
7 > net-dialup/rp-pppoe
8
9 I used rp-pppoe. I found it easier to configure. ppp is installed as a
10 dependency anyway.
11
12 > I'd like to see some connection statistics, i. e. the connection should
13 > be active 24/7, and I want to know when it's interrupted and
14 > re-established, preferably with good error reporting. It would suffice
15 > when I get an email telling me that the connection is down/up.
16
17 If your ISP doesn't disconnect you the connection usually stays active
18 as long as you want resp. the computer is running.
19
20 I don't know anything about the other features (anymore) but with
21 rp-pppoe you get at least the same error messages/logs as with ppp.
22
23 You can also use net-misc/networkmanager. If you're using a desktop
24 environment then you can also install gnome-extra/nm-applet for GTK
25 based desktops or a similar package for KDE. This way you always see the
26 connection status in the systray. And it's easier to configure.
27
28 With networkmanager you can also easily choose and switch between
29 different connection types like Ethernet, WLAN, DSL, Mobile Broadband,
30 VPN etc.