From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error message in Xorg.log for intel xorg driver
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:00:20
1 Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:35:11AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Wolfgang Liebich
5 >> <Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Furthermore yesterday I had a total lockup when I came to work at the
8 >>> morning --- could not login at kdm, kdm would ignore all keyboard
9 >>> input etc. I had to do a hard restart with the "Magic SysRQ" key
10 >>> (remount ro, hard reboot).
11 >>>
12 >> Do you have evdev installed? Without it, you probably won't have any
13 >> keyboard or mouse. Recent xorg made dramatic changes to the way
14 >> hardware is detected/configured by using HAL and evdev. xorg.conf is
15 >> basically unused now when it comes to configuring hardware. I don't
16 >> even have keyboard or mouse, or video modelines or anything like that
17 >> in mine. Search the list archives or the gentoo web forums, there are
18 >> many many people who had the same issues (assuming it's the cause of
19 >> yours).
22 > Evdev is installed, but I configured the kbd driver (I have a MS
23 > Natural Keyboard, btw --- what's the best driver for that keyboard?).
24 > I still have an xorg.conf (and I'm not very inclined to change it as
25 > long as it works :-).
26 >
27 > Furthermore -- after the reboot everything worked again as before. It
28 > seems to have been some fluke, but I want to know where it comes from.
29 >
30 > TIA,
31 > Wolfgang
35 Someone else like me. I still have my xorg.conf and want to keep it
36 too. I don't have evdev installed but from the way it sounds, me and
37 you may have to change in the future, maybe near future.
38
39 I'm sort of wondering what pulls in evdev anyway? I got a fully running
40 KDE and this is my new install. Nothing pulled it in here. I may be
41 missing a USE flag or something.
42
43 Let's hope this works for a while longer yet. ;-)
44
45 Dale
46