From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error message in Xorg.log for intel xorg driver
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:18:10
1 On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:35:11AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Wolfgang Liebich
6 >>> <Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Furthermore yesterday I had a total lockup when I came to work at the
9 >>>> morning --- could not login at kdm, kdm would ignore all keyboard
10 >>>> input etc. I had to do a hard restart with the "Magic SysRQ" key
11 >>>> (remount ro, hard reboot).
12 >>>>
13 >>> Do you have evdev installed? Without it, you probably won't have any
14 >>> keyboard or mouse. Recent xorg made dramatic changes to the way
15 >>> hardware is detected/configured by using HAL and evdev. xorg.conf is
16 >>> basically unused now when it comes to configuring hardware. I don't
17 >>> even have keyboard or mouse, or video modelines or anything like that
18 >>> in mine. Search the list archives or the gentoo web forums, there are
19 >>> many many people who had the same issues (assuming it's the cause of
20 >>> yours).
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> Evdev is installed, but I configured the kbd driver (I have a MS
24 >> Natural Keyboard, btw --- what's the best driver for that keyboard?).
25 >> I still have an xorg.conf (and I'm not very inclined to change it as
26 >> long as it works :-).
27 >>
28 >> Furthermore -- after the reboot everything worked again as before. It
29 >> seems to have been some fluke, but I want to know where it comes from.
30 >>
31 >> TIA,
32 >> Wolfgang
36 > Someone else like me. I still have my xorg.conf and want to keep it
37 > too. I don't have evdev installed but from the way it sounds, me and
38 > you may have to change in the future, maybe near future.
39 >
40 > I'm sort of wondering what pulls in evdev anyway? I got a fully running
41 > KDE and this is my new install. Nothing pulled it in here. I may be
42 > missing a USE flag or something.
43 >
44 > Let's hope this works for a while longer yet. ;-)
45 >
46 > Dale
47 >
52 You need "evdev" in your INPUT_DEVICES variable (mine lives in
53 make.conf). In my case I have:
54
55 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse joystick evdev"
56
57 and portage automagically built those packages.