From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error message in Xorg.log for intel xorg driver
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 07:37:11
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:35:11AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Wolfgang Liebich
10 >>>> <Wolfgang.Liebich@×××××××.com> wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>>> Furthermore yesterday I had a total lockup when I came to work at the
14 >>>>> morning --- could not login at kdm, kdm would ignore all keyboard
15 >>>>> input etc. I had to do a hard restart with the "Magic SysRQ" key
16 >>>>> (remount ro, hard reboot).
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>>
19 >>>> Do you have evdev installed? Without it, you probably won't have any
20 >>>> keyboard or mouse. Recent xorg made dramatic changes to the way
21 >>>> hardware is detected/configured by using HAL and evdev. xorg.conf is
22 >>>> basically unused now when it comes to configuring hardware. I don't
23 >>>> even have keyboard or mouse, or video modelines or anything like that
24 >>>> in mine. Search the list archives or the gentoo web forums, there are
25 >>>> many many people who had the same issues (assuming it's the cause of
26 >>>> yours).
27 >>>>
28 >>>>
29 >>> Evdev is installed, but I configured the kbd driver (I have a MS
30 >>> Natural Keyboard, btw --- what's the best driver for that keyboard?).
31 >>> I still have an xorg.conf (and I'm not very inclined to change it as
32 >>> long as it works :-).
33 >>>
34 >>> Furthermore -- after the reboot everything worked again as before. It
35 >>> seems to have been some fluke, but I want to know where it comes from.
36 >>>
37 >>> TIA,
38 >>> Wolfgang
39 >>>
40 >>>
41 >>>
42 >> Someone else like me. I still have my xorg.conf and want to keep it
43 >> too. I don't have evdev installed but from the way it sounds, me and
44 >> you may have to change in the future, maybe near future.
45 >>
46 >> I'm sort of wondering what pulls in evdev anyway? I got a fully running
47 >> KDE and this is my new install. Nothing pulled it in here. I may be
48 >> missing a USE flag or something.
49 >>
50 >> Let's hope this works for a while longer yet. ;-)
51 >>
52 >> Dale
53 >>
54 >> :-) :-)
59 > You need "evdev" in your INPUT_DEVICES variable (mine lives in
60 > make.conf). In my case I have:
61 >
62 > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse joystick evdev"
63 >
64 > and portage automagically built those packages.
69 So if evdev failed for some reason, it would fall back to the keyboard
70 and mouse drivers you think? That I would be willing to try if that is
71 the case.
72
73 Dale
74