From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: install of vbox guest-additions failing
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 07:49:03
1 On Sunday 09 Jul 2017 17:37:03 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > > Do you have module support enabled?
8 >
9 > Yes, or at least I have been using modules.. not sure where I would
10 > determine if it were enabled or not.
11
12 Make menuconfig; it's on the first page:
13 [*] Enable loadable module support --->
14
15 > I guess I'm not sure what you mean... it sounds as if you expect there
16 > to be a conf file that says `enable modules = yes' or something.
17 >
18 > /etc/conf.d/modules does not seem to have any info about `enabling
19 > modules.
20 >
21 > Just now to insert specific modules
22 >
23 > lsmod shows:
24 >
25 > Module Size Used by
26 > vboxsf 40960 0
27 > vboxguest 208896 6 vboxsf
28
29 You clearly do have module support, as you have modules loaded.
30
31 > > Is the /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to the correct kernel version?
32 >
33 > Yes.
34 >
35 > > In a VBOX VM, you would normally need to compile a kernel,
36 >
37 > And I have done so many times.
38 >
39 > > the commands given are only needed when the sources are not used to
40 > > compile the kernel.
41 >
42 > What commands are you talking about?
43 >
44 > How else would I compile a kernel but with the source?
47 Regards
48 Peter