From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT crypto] How to encrypt a directory without root?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 04:14:40
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:32:07 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> I want to encrypt a directory heirarchy on a remote machine where I
6 >> don't have root. I can use either an openbsd, or gentoo remote.
7 >
8 > Provided the kernel has ecrypt support and the userspace utilities are
9 > installed, you can use ecrypt to encrypt a directory as an ordinary user.
10
11 I just discovered the remote where I want to do this has mcrypt on
12 board so thinking tar first to get around any directory problems and
13 then mcrypt.... I haven't actually tried it yet but anyone know if
14 that is a non-starter.
15
16 What I'm actually thinking of doing:
17
18 I have an encfs encrpted partition on my home machine.. However I want
19 a back up offsite.
20
21 The encrypted partition would be mounted, the contents tarred/gzipped,
22 mcrypt'ed on home machine then scp'ed to the remote for offsite
23 storage once a week or so, overwriting each time.
24
25 The remote also has mcrypt so in a pinch I hope to be able to
26 unencrypt there (on the remote) if need be.. (Home machine becomes
27 unusable or cannot be accessed for one reason or another)
28
29 There is some sensitive stuff in there. But not black helicopter caliber.
30
31 I guess I'm asking; if the remote were hacked for some reason, would my
32 mcripted tarball be an easy target?
33
34 I'm pretty confident the encfs partition on home machine is fairly
35 safe, even if the host is compromised... (I mean assuming this isn't
36 CIA operatives ...) They'd have first to get my user passwd... (root
37 cannot access the encfs files but I guess with root you could just
38 reset the user passwd..). And then the encfs partition password
39 (which cannot be reset without knowing the current passwd.