From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 01:31:38
1 On 2018.11.08 20:16, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy to all,
3 >
4 > I have a interesting problem coming up.  Currently, I have two 3TB
5 > drives for my /home mount point.  A lot of this is videos but some pdf
6 > files and other documents as well plus a photo collection of family
7 > stuff etc.
8 >
9 > Filesystem                                   Size  Used Avail Use%
10 > Mounted on
11 > /dev/mapper/Home2-Home2        5.4T  3.7T  1.8T  68% /home
12 >
13 > I've got a little over 25% or so of usable space left.  At that point
14 > or
15 > shortly thereafter, it could start causing some issues according to
16 > what
17 > I've read anyway.  Either way, shortly after that, being full will
18 > certainly be a issue.  I'm full up on my motherboard SATA ports.  Even
19 > if I buy a larger drive or drives, I'd have to unplug one to move
20 > things
21 > over and likely repeat that a few times.  I could do that and likely
22 > will have to anyway but I'm trying to think a little farther ahead.
23 > Currently I have the more important stuff backed up to a external
24 > single
25 > 6TB USB drive, previous thread on that.  I'm trying to come up with a
26 > plan that allows me to grow easier and without having to worry about
27 > running out of motherboard based ports.
28 >
29 > I thought about a store bought enclosure with more than one hard drive
30 > that connects by ethernet.  The ones I've found are fairly expensive.
31 > Doing it over USB concerns me for other reasons, USB isn't always that
32 > stable.  So, internal isn't working out to well long term.  Ethernet
33 > based is expensive, what I could find anyway.  USB isn't that stable.
34 >
35 > I'm planning to upgrade my current system.  Upgrade the CPU, memory
36 > and
37 > maybe even the video card as well.  I thought about using a older
38 > spare
39 > motherboard, those removed components and building a mini system sort
40 > of
41 > thing.  I could have one small drive for a OS and then add large
42 > drives
43 > for storage.  Then I can access those from my main system, ethernet I
44 > would guess.  Even then, I'd still be limited to the SATA ports on the
45 > MOBO at some point but it would be a ways into the future.  So far
46 > tho,
47 > this is one of the better ideas.  So far.  Does anyone else have other
48 > ideas on how to do this?  Some method that I've never heard of but
49 > doesn't cost a lot of money to do?
50 >
51 > Thanks in advance for any ideas.  I can't think of anything else.
52 > ;-)
53 > If you need more info, let me know.
54 >
55 > Dale
56 >
57 If you have space on the mobo for another card, you should be able to
58 get an additional SATA card. I have no idea on prices, but I'd be
59 surprised if it's prohibitive.
60
61 Jack