From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 01:43:20
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2018.11.08 20:16, Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy to all,
4 >>
5 >> I have a interesting problem coming up.  Currently, I have two 3TB
6 >> drives for my /home mount point.  A lot of this is videos but some pdf
7 >> files and other documents as well plus a photo collection of family
8 >> stuff etc.
9 >>
10 >> Filesystem                                   Size  Used Avail Use%
11 >> Mounted on
12 >> /dev/mapper/Home2-Home2        5.4T  3.7T  1.8T  68% /home
13 >>
14 >> I've got a little over 25% or so of usable space left.  At that point or
15 >> shortly thereafter, it could start causing some issues according to what
16 >> I've read anyway.  Either way, shortly after that, being full will
17 >> certainly be a issue.  I'm full up on my motherboard SATA ports.  Even
18 >> if I buy a larger drive or drives, I'd have to unplug one to move things
19 >> over and likely repeat that a few times.  I could do that and likely
20 >> will have to anyway but I'm trying to think a little farther ahead.
21 >> Currently I have the more important stuff backed up to a external single
22 >> 6TB USB drive, previous thread on that.  I'm trying to come up with a
23 >> plan that allows me to grow easier and without having to worry about
24 >> running out of motherboard based ports.
25 >>
26 >> I thought about a store bought enclosure with more than one hard drive
27 >> that connects by ethernet.  The ones I've found are fairly expensive.
28 >> Doing it over USB concerns me for other reasons, USB isn't always that
29 >> stable.  So, internal isn't working out to well long term.  Ethernet
30 >> based is expensive, what I could find anyway.  USB isn't that stable.
31 >>
32 >> I'm planning to upgrade my current system.  Upgrade the CPU, memory and
33 >> maybe even the video card as well.  I thought about using a older spare
34 >> motherboard, those removed components and building a mini system sort of
35 >> thing.  I could have one small drive for a OS and then add large drives
36 >> for storage.  Then I can access those from my main system, ethernet I
37 >> would guess.  Even then, I'd still be limited to the SATA ports on the
38 >> MOBO at some point but it would be a ways into the future.  So far tho,
39 >> this is one of the better ideas.  So far.  Does anyone else have other
40 >> ideas on how to do this?  Some method that I've never heard of but
41 >> doesn't cost a lot of money to do?
42 >>
43 >> Thanks in advance for any ideas.  I can't think of anything else.  ;-)
44 >> If you need more info, let me know.
45 >>
46 >> Dale
47 >>
48 > If you have space on the mobo for another card, you should be able to
49 > get an additional SATA card.  I have no idea on prices, but I'd be
50 > surprised if it's prohibitive.
51 >
52 > Jack
56 I hadn't thought of adding a SATA card.  I have a ethernet card and the
57 video card and I don't think there are any others.  I should have some
58 open slots there.  Well, that is one idea that I hadn't thought of.
59 lol  Since I have a LARGE case, Cooler Master HAF-932, I have space for
60 more drives.  I think this thing holds like nine or ten pretty easy.
61
62 Thanks.  Another option to look into.
63
64 Dale
65