From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 02:08:18
1 On 09/11/18 09:43, Dale wrote:
2 > Jack wrote:
3 >> On 2018.11.08 20:16, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Howdy to all,
5 >>>
6 >>> I have a interesting problem coming up.  Currently, I have two 3TB
7 >>> drives for my /home mount point.  A lot of this is videos but some pdf
8 >>> files and other documents as well plus a photo collection of family
9 >>> stuff etc.
10 >>>
11 >>> Filesystem                                   Size  Used Avail Use%
12 >>> Mounted on
13 >>> /dev/mapper/Home2-Home2        5.4T  3.7T  1.8T  68% /home
14 >>>
15 >>> I've got a little over 25% or so of usable space left.  At that point or
16 >>> shortly thereafter, it could start causing some issues according to what
17 >>> I've read anyway.  Either way, shortly after that, being full will
18 >>> certainly be a issue.  I'm full up on my motherboard SATA ports.  Even
19 >>> if I buy a larger drive or drives, I'd have to unplug one to move things
20 >>> over and likely repeat that a few times.  I could do that and likely
21 >>> will have to anyway but I'm trying to think a little farther ahead.
22 >>> Currently I have the more important stuff backed up to a external single
23 >>> 6TB USB drive, previous thread on that.  I'm trying to come up with a
24 >>> plan that allows me to grow easier and without having to worry about
25 >>> running out of motherboard based ports.
26 >>>
27 >>> I thought about a store bought enclosure with more than one hard drive
28 >>> that connects by ethernet.  The ones I've found are fairly expensive.
29 >>> Doing it over USB concerns me for other reasons, USB isn't always that
30 >>> stable.  So, internal isn't working out to well long term.  Ethernet
31 >>> based is expensive, what I could find anyway.  USB isn't that stable.
32 >>>
33 >>> I'm planning to upgrade my current system.  Upgrade the CPU, memory and
34 >>> maybe even the video card as well.  I thought about using a older spare
35 >>> motherboard, those removed components and building a mini system sort of
36 >>> thing.  I could have one small drive for a OS and then add large drives
37 >>> for storage.  Then I can access those from my main system, ethernet I
38 >>> would guess.  Even then, I'd still be limited to the SATA ports on the
39 >>> MOBO at some point but it would be a ways into the future.  So far tho,
40 >>> this is one of the better ideas.  So far.  Does anyone else have other
41 >>> ideas on how to do this?  Some method that I've never heard of but
42 >>> doesn't cost a lot of money to do?
43 >>>
44 >>> Thanks in advance for any ideas.  I can't think of anything else.  ;-)
45 >>> If you need more info, let me know.
46 >>>
47 >>> Dale
48 >>>
49 >> If you have space on the mobo for another card, you should be able to
50 >> get an additional SATA card.  I have no idea on prices, but I'd be
51 >> surprised if it's prohibitive.
52 >>
53 >> Jack
56 > I hadn't thought of adding a SATA card.  I have a ethernet card and the
57 > video card and I don't think there are any others.  I should have some
58 > open slots there.  Well, that is one idea that I hadn't thought of.
59 > lol  Since I have a LARGE case, Cooler Master HAF-932, I have space for
60 > more drives.  I think this thing holds like nine or ten pretty easy.
61 >
62 > Thanks.  Another option to look into.
63 >
64 > Dale
65 >
67 >
68 I have used a mini-pcie board from ebay (takes two sata connections)
69 alongside a number of other connection types in a btrfs raid 10 for some
70 months as a temporary expansion - worked fine, but make sure to check
71 Linux compatibility first.
74 BillK