From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba wants to downgrade my python....
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:38:53
1 On 09/16/12 19:19, Randolph Maaßen wrote:
2 > On Sep 16, 2012 1:05 PM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@×××××××.au
3 > <mailto:agl@×××××××.au>> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Hi all,
6 > > I've got a media server that I'm in the process of installing
7 > Samba on. When I do:
8 > >
9 > > emerge -NuD --pretend samba
10 > >
11 > > I get a list of stuff that portage wants to install, including
12 > Python, V2.7.3, even though the machine already has V3.2.3 installed.
13 > I've also stripped down the USE variables to basically "server" and
14 > that's all and still for some reason portage wants to bring in Python -
15 > the older version, V2. I've even added a "-python" to packages.use and
16 > it still wants python, V2. I've had a look at the USE variables for the
17 > packages that follow Python in the emerge list and they either don't
18 > want python or already have "-python" set.
19 > >
20 > > Having a play around with equery also didn't reveal anything.
21 > Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing old Python to be brought
22 > in? I haven't posted the whole "emerge --info" stuff yet as hopefully
23 > someone has come across this problem before.
24 > >
25 > > Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
26 > >
27 > > Andrew
30 > Hi, when you are dealing with python always remember that the API has
31 > changed between version 2 and 3 so python 3 can't handle python 2 scripts.
32 >
33 > So what I think emerge is doing here is installing python 2.7 beside 3.2.
34 >
35 > When you add the verbose flag to the emerge command, you will probably
36 > see something like [ NS ] or [ uS ] at the beginning of the python line.
37 > The S stands for new slot, so both version will be installedbecause
38 > samba or one of it's dependency is using python 2 scripts.
39
40 Randolph,
41 You have guessed correctly, I get NS. But to me, the question is why do
42 I even need python at all for something that is a file sharing daemon?
43 I've turned off CUPS etc etc, I just want file sharing to the M$ world,
44 not all the other fluff. I suppose I'll have to have a look at the
45 ebuild to try and work out why this thingy wants Python, any python, in
46 the first place.
47
48 Andrew