From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Samba wants to downgrade my python....
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:55:23
1 On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 19:32:11 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > I suppose I'll have to have a look at the
4 > ebuild to try and work out why this thingy wants Python, any python, in
5 > the first place.
6
7 Portage is written in Python, which raises the question of why you didn't
8 have python:2 installed in the first place. The samba ebuild doesn't
9 include a dependency on python, so you'll need to do and emerge -t to see
10 which packages do pull it in, but I suspect it is required by an eclass
11 inherited by one of the ebuilds.
12
13 If so, Samba itself does not need Python to do it's job, but portage
14 needs Python in order to install Samba. that would make it a build
15 dependency which could be uninstalled after Samba was merged, but I'd be
16 nervous about removing Python from any Gentoo system that uses portage.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Top Oxymorons Number 47: Act naturally