From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs >
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:46:43
1 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 12/15/10 10:56:21, Adam Carter wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I confirmed with lsmod and even rmmod and modprobed it back in a
5 >>>
6 >> few
7 >> times.
8 >>
9 >>> Still no joy. I really think it is either the card or the
10 >>>
11 >> xorg.conf file.
12 >>
13 >>> Thing is, when Mandriva failed to work, that makes me wonder about
14 >>>
15 >> the
16 >>
17 >>> card. It was using the generic "nv" driver and it still wouldn't
18 >>>
19 >> work.
20 >>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >> IMO its a waste of time to worry about any of this other stuff - the
24 >> EE's in
25 >> the log file are ERRORs, directly pointing at serious issues with
26 >> missing
27 >> modules. So either the modules dont exist, or xorg cant find them.
28 >>
29 >> There's no evidence of a problem with the nvidia module or the
30 >> hardware.
31 >>
32 > I don't think that's true.
33 > In my Xorg.0.log I do have
34 >
35 > (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
36 > ....
37 > (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
38 >
39 > and still, X11 is running just fine. I think these modules are
40 > superfluous with a recent Xorg version.
41 >
42 > Helmut.
46 What I found with google, those modules used to be loaded separate bit
47 is now included into the drivers. So, it complains but they do load up
48 but just in another way.
49
50 I have had those errors on my old rig for a long time. It never caused
51 any problem that I know of. What bothers me is the last line about
52 glx. That I have not seen before.
53
54 Dale
55