From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel-3.4.4 No USB Keyboard [Solved]
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 18:03:57
1 On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:39:07 -0400
3 > Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >> After configuring with the same .config file that I used for 3.4.0,
7 >> the new 3.4.4 kernel boots but it cannot read the USB keyboard.
8 >> Presumably the USB mouse is also affected.
11 > The problem has been traced to a certain configuration parameter.
12 >
13 > In the "General setup" options for kernel .config file, there
14 > is an option called "Configure standard kernel features (expert users)."
15 > There is also an associated admonition: "Only use this if you really
16 > know what you are doing."
17 >
18 > Since the help descriptions for these options are fairly easy to understand
19 > I decided to manually set some of these options. For reasons that I
20 > can't understand this caused the USB problems. Setting this option
21 > to "No" fixed everything and now the kernel-3.4.4 works nicely.
22 >
23 > It would be beneficial if anyone who truly is an "expert" could comment
24 > on how setting these options could wreck the USB system.
25
26 I am not an expert and don't know about your particular options that
27 were enabled/disabled, but on my laptop I had to ensure the USB
28 modules were loaded in a certain order. In my case my laptop supports
29 EHCI and UHCI, but I had to set EHCI as built-in and UHCI as module
30 (or I probably could have just blacklisted UHCI). Basically, if UHCI
31 got loaded first it would cause strangeness.