From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless broadband modems - Working?
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:56:04
1 >> Does anyone have experience with this stuff?  Do wireless broadband
2 >> modems work in Gentoo?
3 >
4 > I tried a number of 3G modems for an article I wrote last year and all
5 > of them worked. There were only two brands of modem supplied by the
6 > various telcos, Huawei and Novatel and they are very similar in
7 > operation.
8 >
9 > Vodafone have a software package for these modems, whichever telco you
10 > use, but it is tricky to get working with a shedload of dependencies. If
11 > is only needed if you want to do stuff like send SMS messages from the
12 > computer. For standard Internet usage, you only need the kernel modules
13 > and your favourite PPP software.
16 > --
17 > Neil Bothwick
18
19 Thanks Neil, I'd like to get as close as possible to being ready to
20 plug-and-play with one of those modems. Do you remember the names of
21 the kernel modules? I've never used PPP software before. Can you
22 recommend a package?
23
24 - Grant