From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: NFS vs. jumbo frames
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:20:56
1 On 23 April 2007, ames wrote:
2 > kashani <kashani-list <at> badapple.net> writes:
3 > > >> Just curious: What kind of network (layer 2) is this that allows an
4 > > >> MTU of 9000?
5 > > >> Uwe
6 > > >
7 > > > It sounds like Gigabit Ethernet to me.
8 > >
9 > > Keep in mind that not all fastE or gigE switches support jumbo frames.
10 > > Additionally not all cards support jumbo frames either though you can
11 > > certainly set them to an MTU of 9000 and watch things break.
12 > >
13 > > To the original poster, I'd do some googling and verify that all the
14 > > network cards and switches involved can do jumbo frames and that it is
15 > > enabled on each device as needed.
16 > >
17 > > kashani
18 >
19 > Does NFS have any negotiations to determine if jumbo frames can work
20 > between 2 system, then use a smaller mtu if a larger (jumbo) mtu
21 > is not suppported between devices?
22
23 Don't stare at NFS. It's too high a layer in the TCP/IP stack. And yes, it
24 can deal with large packets. You can use NFS with localhost (127.0.0.1),
25 right? That one usually has an MTU of 16,436.
26
27 The real issues with MTUs occur at layer 2 (ethernet or whatever you are
28 using), IP (fragmentation and de-fragmentation) and ICMP (MTU discovery).
29
30 Uwe
33 The Informal Linux Group Namibia:
34 http://www.linux.org.na