From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] I don't want to upgrade to xorg-x11-7.0
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:19:11
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: richard.j.fish@×××××.com
3 > [mailto:richard.j.fish@×××××.com] On Behalf Of Richard Fish
4 > Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:06 PM
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't want to upgrade to xorg-x11-7.0
7 >
8 > On 4/6/06, Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
9 > > server portage # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
10 > > =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
11 >
12 > You did the opposite of what you wanted to do...you masked out only
13 > the current 6.8 version. What you want is:
14 >
15 > >=x11-base/xorg-x11-7
16 >
17 > However, I doubt there will be any more releases of 6.x. You may also
18 > find yourself masking out more and more parts of the modular X tree.
19 > If you want to keep updating this system, avoiding modular X is going
20 > to be more and more difficult.
21
22 Well. The server is critical. I can't have that be down, so I'm fine with
23 leaving X6 for now till X7 is figured out or whatever. I'm in no rush. But
24 it was preventing me from doing an "emerge -Davu world" to see what else I
25 might need (such as the new rails)
26
27 > BTW, did you happen to try the open-source nv driver on your laptop?
28
29 No. I haven't had time to mess around with X7 on my notebook. I get so
30 frustrated with Linux sometimes. I swear I'm on the verge of getting a Mac
31 Pro (now that you can dual boot XP/OSX)
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list