From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp-daemons
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 00:58:48
1 [Sorry if this not entirely coherent: it's growing late here.]
2
3 On Wednesday 03 April 2013 22:45:11 Mick wrote:
4
5 > Do you have chronyc set up to signal off/online status to chronyd? If
6 > so, where do you run it from?
7
8 No, I don't need to bother with manual control: it just works for me. I did
9 play with chronyc years ago but I soon got bored.
10
11 I have chronyd running on my LAN server, getting its time from several hosts
12 Out There, then internal hosts get their time from the LAN server. All very
13 straightforward. Any time errors just ramp themselves steadily down to zero.
14 I can show you my config files if you like.
15
16 In those old 486/586 days the author used to publish a new version for each
17 new generation of CPU, but I haven't seen that since x86_64 came on the
18 scene. I suppose he must have found another way of calibrating his object
19 code's execution time. Whatever the case, I'm happy that gkrellm etc. show
20 the time to at least the nearest half-second relative to BBC time signals.
21
22 I started using chrony in those old dial-up days because it can handle slow
23 links. Also intermittent ones, by which I mean systems that shut down for
24 some of the day, or that dual-boot with Windross,. I haven't felt a need to
25 change since then. At that time ntpd was at a disadvantage IIRC. You might
26 say that chrony is designed for desktop boxes rather than the servers that
27 ntpd likes, though the edges are pretty blurred.
30 Yours, happy camper of Tideswell,
31 Peter