From: Joshua D Doll <joshua.doll@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Looking for SATA controller recommendation
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 04:01:21
1 Roy Wright wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm looking to add three more drives to my system for a software RAID5
5 > media volume. I've used all my motherboard SATA ports so need a SATA
6 > controller. I don't want a hardware RAID controller (been there, burned
7 > when controller died). 4 SATA2 ports is the minimum required. I have
8 > both PCIe and PCI slots available. I do not need high performance as
9 > the RAID will just contain media files for access in my home. I would
10 > prefer a controller supported by normal kernel drivers. My preference
11 > is to keep costs down (3 x 1 TB drives are costly enough :).
12 >
13 > Any recommendations?
14 >
15 > FYI, system is gentoo ~x86, Intel Q9300, Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6.
16 >
17 > TIA,
18 > Roy
19 >
20 Have tried 3ware? I find them to be reasonably priced and they do True
21 Hardware RAID, and have very good mainline Linux Kernel support.
22
23 --Joshua Doll
24 --
25 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list