From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:40:41
1 2018-07-26 16:04 GMT+03:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 > On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 8:45 AM Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> > Did this even impact the stable branch?
4 >>
5 >> Yes.
6 >
7 > Hmm, I suspect I didn't sync before it was reverted. Either that or I
8 > noticed the noise on the lists and waited a day.
9 >
10 > This is one issue with our news - it isn't really realtime. If we
11 > want people to hold the presses and re-sync they don't get that notice
12 > until they've already re-synced.
13 >
14 >> May be, adding some additional "almost stable" level between
15 >> "stable" and "unstable" one to make "stable" stable indeed?
16 >
17 > If anything it seems like the proposal to drop stable comes along
18 > every few years. I don't see anybody being eager to add another level
19 > of QA. A big practical issue would be that unless people are actually
20 > using the two lower levels significantly then nothing is actually
21 > getting checked before going to stable.
22 >
23 > There is really no reason you couldn't have a release-based Gentoo
24 > derivative. Everything is in git. All "somebody" needs to do is
25 > start a repo with a release-driven workflow that treats Gentoo as the
26 > upstream master branch, targeting changes for release branches and
27 > then doing release candidates and QA/etc. Then those release-based
28 > users would sync from there instead of the upstream Gentoo repo.
29 > Ideally somebody would bundle it with a reference binary repo that
30 > people could optionally sync from to speed installs for packages where
31 > they're not changing USE flags.
32 >
33 > The problem is that this all takes quite a bit of work, and I'm
34 > skeptical that it would ever happen. However, for larger Gentoo
35 > deployments in production environments I suspect most are doing things
36 > more-or-less in this fashion, but just with the packages they care
37 > about. If somebody has 100 production servers running Gentoo I doubt
38 > they are set to just sync from us. Rather they would set up their own
39 > mirror and carefully test portage snapshots before they go rolling
40 > them out.
41
42 Ok. Thank you for your reply.