From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 13:04:36
1 On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 8:45 AM Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Anyway, it is a good idea to write a news on changing python_targets
4 > and major version of gcc, even if no developper expects any troubles,
5 > because we already know their predictive (dis)ability. :)
8 You won't get any argument from me there - more news is usually
9 better. If nothing else people want to know they don't have to do
10 something when they see 200 packages being upgraded.
11
12 > > Did this even impact the stable branch?
13 >
14 > Yes.
15
16 Hmm, I suspect I didn't sync before it was reverted. Either that or I
17 noticed the noise on the lists and waited a day.
18
19 This is one issue with our news - it isn't really realtime. If we
20 want people to hold the presses and re-sync they don't get that notice
21 until they've already re-synced.
22
23 > May be, adding some additional "almost stable" level between
24 > "stable" and "unstable" one to make "stable" stable indeed?
25
26 If anything it seems like the proposal to drop stable comes along
27 every few years. I don't see anybody being eager to add another level
28 of QA. A big practical issue would be that unless people are actually
29 using the two lower levels significantly then nothing is actually
30 getting checked before going to stable.
31
32 There is really no reason you couldn't have a release-based Gentoo
33 derivative. Everything is in git. All "somebody" needs to do is
34 start a repo with a release-driven workflow that treats Gentoo as the
35 upstream master branch, targeting changes for release branches and
36 then doing release candidates and QA/etc. Then those release-based
37 users would sync from there instead of the upstream Gentoo repo.
38 Ideally somebody would bundle it with a reference binary repo that
39 people could optionally sync from to speed installs for packages where
40 they're not changing USE flags.
41
42 The problem is that this all takes quite a bit of work, and I'm
43 skeptical that it would ever happen. However, for larger Gentoo
44 deployments in production environments I suspect most are doing things
45 more-or-less in this fashion, but just with the packages they care
46 about. If somebody has 100 production servers running Gentoo I doubt
47 they are set to just sync from us. Rather they would set up their own
48 mirror and carefully test portage snapshots before they go rolling
49 them out.
52 Rich