From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is a "packet"? Was: Checksum error
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:38:21
1 On Monday 12 October 2009 23:22:29 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-10-12, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 [snip]
5
6 > > "The boy kicked the ball." The subject is boy and the only way
7 > > to tell is the it's before the verb. Which is a stupid idea
8 > > actually.
9 >
10 > It's probably just a result of my having grown up with a
11 > positional verses notational language (is notational the right
12 > word?), but the positional syntax seems a lot simpler to me.
13
14 Let's assume "notational" is a word, I know what you mean. If it's not a word,
15 we just made it one :-)
16
17 I fully understand where you're coming from, English is my native tongue too,
18 and I deal with positionality (is that a word?) fluently. But I also see it's
19 flaws, some of them are quite gross. You have no way to denote emphasis other
20 than by saying so or using modified font glyphs; in a compound sentence using
21 an unqualified pronoun is usually ambiguous. Example:
22
23 Joe went to school with Bill and he passed his classes.
24 Joe went to school with Bill, and he passed his classes.
25
26 Who does "he" refer to in both? I'll bet there's some complex rule that does
27 define the convention, and I'll also bet very few people know what it is.
28
29 [snip]
30
31 > > You should be able to modify "ball" to show that it's indeed
32 > > the object.
33 >
34 > That seems to be an entirely "subjective" value judgement. Why
35 > should one be able to do that? [Good pun, eh?]
36
37 Yup, good pun :-)
38
39 Change what I said to "I think it would be a good idea to modify "ball""
40
41 > > Then you could do this: "ball the boy kicked" which emphasises
42 > > that it's the ball that was kicked.
43 >
44 > I give up, why doesn't "the ball the boy kicked" work?
45
46 If I tell you "ball" is the objective case and "the boy" is the subjective
47 case, can you see where I'm going? It's still the boy that kicked the ball but
48 the position denotes emphasis, not case. If English could do this (it can't) I
49 would have added information and retained full precision.
50
51 As a geek, I can see the attraction of this. But as a user of the language, I
52 can see I have zero chance of it ever happening
53
54 [snip]
55
56 > > Like I said earlier in this thread, if English were a coding
57 > > language it would be BrainFuck or intercal
58 >
59 > Don't pretty much all programming languages use position to
60 > differente the meanings of references to variables?
61
62 Hmmm, yes they do. But they have no need to change the order - there's no
63 extra information you could convey by doing that (with current languages at
64 least). Human languages have different needs in this regard.
65
66 > OK, this is waaay off topic now...
67
68 yes, you are right about that too :-)
71 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com