From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:43:50
1 On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:58:00 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>> >> I'll be getting my feet wet with this shortly.  Any other tips
6 > >>> >> regarding the management of one or more programmers working on
7 > >>> >> various small web projects?  Maybe workflow or any key
8 > >>> >> procedures a newbie manager should follow?
9 > >>> >
10 > >>> > You can get away with almost anything except these two things:
11 > >>> >
12 > >>> > Do not micro-manage
13 > >>> > Do not tell them how to do what they do
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Could you give me an example of this last one?
16 > >>
17 > >> - I see you are using Perl with hashrefs to do function xyz. Have
18 > >> you considered (i.e. I would like you to) using
19 > >> $INSERT_SOMETHING_HERE?
20 > >>
21 > >> - Fiddling with the roadmap. Somehow, this always ends up like the
22 > >> homeowner overriding the architect and trying to get the roof up
23 > >> before the walls.
24 > >>
25 > >> - Giving "advice" on the process such as saying how awesome a
26 > >> concept stakeholders and product owners are in Scrum. But they use
27 > >> ExtremeProgramming.
28 > >>
29 > >> - Wanting to personally review the code often. I've seen some
30 > >> managers want to do this daily.
31 > >>
32 > >> - Get personally involved on their level.
33 > >>
34 > >>
35 > >> All these things class as interference. Managers and owners who do
36 > >> this have miles of justifiable reasons for doing so, but it's
37 > >> always hogwash
38 > >> - they interfere, plain and simple.
39 > >
40 > > This is really interesting to me.  Is there a forum/website/book
41 > > with more gritty, practical advice like this on managing
42 > > programmers? These are the kinds of mistakes I will definitely make
43 > > if someone doesn't tell me not to.
44 > >
45 > > Could you tell me really briefly what a manager *should* do?
46 > >
47 > > I think I'll try to manage a single programmer working few hours and
48 > > see how it goes.  My asking stupid questions is due to my lack of
49 > > experience and there's only one way to fix that.
50 >
51 > I'd probably suggest reading The Mythical Man-Month.
52 >
53 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
56 My favourite non-fiction book of all time :-)
57
58 Most favourite quotes are the ones about women producing babies, and
59 adding manpower to a late project makes it later. Oh, and this one is a
60 classic too:
61
62 Q: How do you get a project to be 3 years late?
63 A: One day at a time.
70 Alan McKinnnon
71 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com