From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (probably)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:07:16
1 daid kahl wrote:
2 >>> I saw a message that said something about some kernel option that was
3 >>> turned on that shouldn't be, and that udev might not work.
4 >>>
5 >> I found it in /var/log/messages. It said:
6 >>
7 >> Nov 23 15:37:07 camille kernel: udev: missing sysfs features; please
8 >> update the kernel or disable the kernel's CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED
9 >> option; udev may fail to work correctly
10 >> Nov 23 15:00:01 camille sudo: michael : TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/michael ;
11 >> USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/init.d/udev restart
12 >>
13 >> I'm rebuilding the kernel with that option disabled, but in the meantime
14 >> why did Mythtv forget my programs set to record? I checked that mysql
15 >> is running, and it is, I checked mythbacked. The only discrepancy I can
16 >> find is the existence of /dev/video0...
19 > I also had this message for maybe a week before I rebuilt the kernel
20 > (same way as you). The only difference I noticed was that the error
21 > message went away, but maybe it had some effect on your hardware?
22 >
23 > ~daid
27 Since I hadn't rebooted in a while, I don't know what changed on mine
28 either. It appears udev was still working tho. I noticed this when I
29 went to single user and typed in the wrong process number and killed
30 udev. I restarted it and got the error the OP got. I figured I would
31 fix it while I was already that close to a shutdown anyway.
32
33 I suspect tho that MythTV sort of complicates things by needing udev to
34 create things not needed on a system without MythTV.
35
36 For the record OP, if you are on baselayout-1, you can start udev by
37 typing in /sbin/udevd --daemon. I'm pretty sure you have to be root to
38 do that tho.
39
40 Dale
41