From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 failure
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 13:39:55
1 On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:32:01 +0100, Alan McKinnon
2 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday 07 January 2010 15:17:05 GerhardosG wrote:
5 >> Hi ,
6 >>
7 >> on my gentoo-Laptop with AMD - K8 the network
8 >>
9 >> is NOT running :
10 >>
11 >> ifconfig eth0 down
12 >>
13 >> ifconfig eth0 up
14 >> Disabling IRQ #5
15 >>
16 >> Why ?????
19 > <sigh>
20 >
21 > Yea gods, not another one.
22 >
23 > How on this earth can you expect people to help you if you do not provide
24 > information. We have no idea what machine you have, what network card,
25 > what
26 > errors are taking place, what modules, what kernel or anything else
27 > that's
28 > important to help you, because you did not say.
29 >
30 > My initial opinion as to why your network does not work is that your
31 > card is
32 > physically fucked.
33 >
34 > Feel free to disagree and prove me wrong by means of:
35 >
36 > - relevant dmesg output
37 > - relevant /var/log/messages output
38 > - relevant lspci output
39 > - relevant lsmod output
40 > - relevant uname -a output
41 > - relevant kernel configuration output
42 > - relevant verbose output on the shell when starting the interface
43 > - anything else relevant
46 You might also want to add /etc/conf.d/net to the list of things to look
47 through.
48
49 OT: I had the same reaction Alan, i had just finished reading the other
50 one who provided no information. It really is dumbfounding.
54 Zeerak