From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Change from udev to eudev?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 18:02:52
1 On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:18:01PM -0400, Jonathan Callen wrote
2
3 > Actually, you no longer need a user-space device manager at all, unless
4 > you want to be able to access device nodes under /dev as a user that
5 > isn't UID=0 or has CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE. The kernel provides a devtmpfs
6 > filesystem that will have every single device node that udev used to
7 > create (udev no longer even creates the devices -- it just relies on
8 > devtmpfs doing so), but most of them will be owned by 0:0 (root:root)
9 > with permissions 0600; excepting certain nodes like /dev/null or
10 > /dev/zero, which will be owned by 0:0 with permissions 0666. One other
11 > thing that udev does that you might rely on is to create symlinks like
12 > /dev/disk/by-label/*, which can be used by mount(8) if you specify
13 > LABEL=foo in /etc/fstab. The only other things that I'm aware of udev
14 > doing is to rename network devices and (possibly) to notify other
15 > applications of changes, somehow (but I'm not sure that it actually does
16 > that).
17 >
18 > If you don't actually need any of that (you are working on an embedded
19 > system where you only need root anyway, for instance), then you can just
20 > use a bare devtmpfs without a device manager changing permissions,
21 > adding links, etc.
22
23 Interesting. In the initial panic after the announcement that udev
24 would be subsumed by systemd, I started what went on to become the
25 Gentoo wiki entries at...
26
27 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
28 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
29 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount
30
31 I wonder if it would be possible to set up a functional multi-user
32 devtempfs-based system with appropriate permissions being granted in
33 /etc/sudoers.d/ It would certainly be an interesting project.
36 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
37 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications