From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Change from udev to eudev?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 02:18:19
1 On 06/09/2016 10:00 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:16:57AM -0500, Dale wrote
4 >>> karl@××××××××.se wrote:
5 >>>> Dale:
6 >>>> ...
7 >>>>> Can a system even boot without udev?
8 >>>> Yes, use sys-fs/static-dev (unless you have some special boot
9 >>>> requirements).
10 >>> Well, I was talking about if udev was removed and then a reboot
11 >>> was done. I would think it would boot to a certain point then when
12 >>> whatever started and needed devices to be created in /dev, it would
13 >>> start failing. I suspect this would vary depending on the install
14 >>> as well.
15 >> You need *A* device-manager. You can use udev, eudev, static-dev,
16 >> mdev, whatever, but you need something. Mind you, some software assumes
17 >> or requires udev/eudev.
21 > What I was referring to was if during this switch from udev to eudev,
22 > someone rebooted without any dev manager at all. In other words, emerge
23 > -C udev and then reboot before emerging eudev or some other dev
24 > manager. I suspect that would get interesting pretty quick.
25 >
26 > Dale
27 >
28 > :-) :-)
32 Actually, you no longer need a user-space device manager at all, unless
33 you want to be able to access device nodes under /dev as a user that
34 isn't UID=0 or has CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE. The kernel provides a devtmpfs
35 filesystem that will have every single device node that udev used to
36 create (udev no longer even creates the devices -- it just relies on
37 devtmpfs doing so), but most of them will be owned by 0:0 (root:root)
38 with permissions 0600; excepting certain nodes like /dev/null or
39 /dev/zero, which will be owned by 0:0 with permissions 0666. One other
40 thing that udev does that you might rely on is to create symlinks like
41 /dev/disk/by-label/*, which can be used by mount(8) if you specify
42 LABEL=foo in /etc/fstab. The only other things that I'm aware of udev
43 doing is to rename network devices and (possibly) to notify other
44 applications of changes, somehow (but I'm not sure that it actually does
45 that).
46
47 If you don't actually need any of that (you are working on an embedded
48 system where you only need root anyway, for instance), then you can just
49 use a bare devtmpfs without a device manager changing permissions,
50 adding links, etc.
53 Jonathan Callen