From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bisect a problem going back months?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:27:25
1 On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I'm wondering if there is a Gentoo way to bisect a bug that's crept
5 >> into my 64-bit Intel-based system (Intel process, motherboard and
6 >> graphics) over the last few months. Fundamentally when this bug
7 >> appears it generates a complete X crash back to the gdm login. My
8 >> suspicion is that it's related to the Gentoo push to use firefox-bin
9 >> and 32-bit Flash until some security issues were addressed but I don't
10 >> know that for sure.
11 >>
12 >> Are there specific overlays I'd want to add using layman that would
13 >> allow me to get back to earlier versions of the Intel graphics driver,
14 >> 64-bit Firefox and the now masked versions of Flash I was using say
15 >> 2-3 months ago? At this point I don't know for sure that what I need
16 >> isn't in portage and just masked. I'll start reviewing that this
17 >> evening. This post was primarily just to figure out what my options
18 >> might be.
19 >>
20 >> I've never used sunrise or sunset, etc. Maybe it's as easy as adding
21 >> one of those to layman and then bisecting my way through some
22 >> experiments to figure out where the problem first appeared?
23 >
24 > You can get old ebuilds from http://sources.gentoo.org, and maybe take
25 > whole portage tree snapshot from a given point in time (never tried
26 > it). Or maybe there are portage webrsync snapshots going back (again,
27 > never used them).
28 >
29 > If you have demerge installed it should have taken snapshots of which
30 > packages you had installed at each time you ran emerge as well. I
31 > think that'll still depend on those old versions still being in the
32 > tree, which for security fixes etc they usually are not kept, but all
33 > should be on http://sources.gentoo.org
36 Thanks Paul. This is something to look at.
37
38 It seems at first glance it's roughly equivalent to what's on my
39 system right now. For instance concerning adobe-flash I see only one
40 small difference - the oldest 9.0.159 version differs shows up in eix
41 on the machine but isn't at sources.gentoo.org. That's not bad.
42
43 I believe you are right that I could probably somehow figure out by
44 hand using /var/log/emerge.log what was installed after a certain
45 date, or possibly figure out what version was running at a certain
46 date. I wonder if there are any tools for figuring out the installed
47 versions back in time. I don't save anything other than emerge.log and
48 I don't know for sure than an old rev of that file was thrown away at
49 some point and the file started over again. I suspect many ebuilds
50 that I've used are no longer in sources.gentoo.org as almost certainly
51 I used Flash 4.0, Flash 5.0, etc. sometime along time ago.
52
53 Thanks for the pointer.
54
55 Cheers,