From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing via GRML
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:41:51
1 Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Jean-Baptiste Mestelan:
2 > On 15/01/2008, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com> wrote:
3 > > make menuconfig && make && make modules_install, maybe? This always
4 > > works, on any distribution. I still wonder why they all invent their
5 > > own, special way of compiling a kernel.
6 >
7 > Sure, this will work.
8 > This also presumes that you know your way through menuconfig.
9
10 Another option would be to start with the kernel/modules that come with your
11 LiveCD. Since you bootet the CD from it, you know it works.
12
13 > > I still wonder why they all invent their own, special
14 > > way of compiling a kernel.
15 >
16 > Probably to leave the choice to users, and allow someone to compile a
17 > kernel without having in-depth knowledge of one's hardware and kernel
18 > options ?
19
20 Sure. My point was not about having such a tool, but having multiple
21 different ones.
22
23 However, once you are used to it, x- or menuconfig are quite convenient.
24
25 Bye...
26
27 Dirk
28 --
29 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
30 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
31 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
32 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
33 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
34 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net