From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: External monitor is stretched 4:3
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 23:03:21
1 > > >> > I've connected my laptop to a lot of HDTV's and whenever I
2 switch
3 > > >> > the output to display on both screens, black bars appear on the
4 > > >> > left and right of my laptop screen so it displays at 4:3, and
5 the
6 > > >> > HDTV output is 16:9 but looks horizontally stretched. Does
7 > > >> > anyone know how to keep the output at 16:9 on both screens?
8 > > >> >
9 > > >> > - Grant
10 > > >>
11 > > >> You don't give a lot of information here. Are you using mirrored
12 > > >> screen or an extended desktop? Also what is the desktop environment
13 or
14 > > >> window manager you use?
15 > > >>
16 > > >> On thing that might help is to provide the output of xrandr.
17 > > >
18 > > > I'm using xfce4, but I'm not sure if I'm using a mirrored screen or an
19 > > > extended desktop. All I do is plug the laptop into the HDTV with an
20 HDMI
21 > > > cable and hit the keyboard shortcut to switch screens which brings up
22 a
23 > > > little dialog.
24 > >
25 > > There is nothing too complex here, if the TV and laptop are showing the
26 > > same thing, one screen is *mirroring* the other, otherwise, if you see
27 > > different things in different screens, you're using an extended desktop.
28 > >
29 > > > I was able to change the resolution from 1024x768 to 1366x768 with
30 > > > xfce4's Display settings, but when I disconnect and reconnect to the
31 > > > HDTV it displays at 1024x768 again. Do you know how to select the
32 > > > output resolution for an external screen permanently? Is this done in
33 > > > xorg.conf?
34 > >
35 > > This is, I'd guess, a "preferred" video mode announced through EDID,
36 > > where the TV, even if it supports 1366x768, will anounce 1024x768 as
37 > > preferred. You could do the change with a small xrandr one-liner, and
38 > > there must be some way to do it through xorg.conf, although I don't know
39 > > how.
40 > >
41 > > In the end, having the output of xrandr (both before and after you
42 > > change the video modes) would help *a lot*, as it answers most of our
43 > > questions...
44 >
45 > You can set this up either with xranrd entries in your ~/.xprofile or in
46 your
47 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
48
49 I experimented with xorg.conf, but I think the problem is with the xfce4
50 display switching component. If I don't have anything pertinent in
51 xorg.conf and I reboot with the HDTV connected, both screens come up in
52 1366x768. I can even display and un-display either of the two screens in
53 the xfce4 Display settings and they come up in 1366x768. But if I use the
54 small xfce4 display switcher dialog that comes up when I hit the keyboard
55 shortcut, the resolution always drops to 1024x768 on both screens if I
56 choose "Both displays cloned".
57
58 - Grant