From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: External monitor is stretched 4:3
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 13:20:23
1 On Saturday 01 Dec 2012 09:49:01 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
2 > On 2012-12-01, Grant wrote:
3 > >> > I've connected my laptop to a lot of HDTV's and whenever I switch
4 > >> > the output to display on both screens, black bars appear on the
5 > >> > left and right of my laptop screen so it displays at 4:3, and the
6 > >> > HDTV output is 16:9 but looks horizontally stretched. Does
7 > >> > anyone know how to keep the output at 16:9 on both screens?
8 > >> >
9 > >> > - Grant
10 > >>
11 > >> You don't give a lot of information here. Are you using mirrored
12 > >> screen or an extended desktop? Also what is the desktop environment or
13 > >> window manager you use?
14 > >>
15 > >> On thing that might help is to provide the output of xrandr.
16 > >
17 > > I'm using xfce4, but I'm not sure if I'm using a mirrored screen or an
18 > > extended desktop. All I do is plug the laptop into the HDTV with an HDMI
19 > > cable and hit the keyboard shortcut to switch screens which brings up a
20 > > little dialog.
21 >
22 > There is nothing too complex here, if the TV and laptop are showing the
23 > same thing, one screen is *mirroring* the other, otherwise, if you see
24 > different things in different screens, you're using an extended desktop.
25 >
26 > > I was able to change the resolution from 1024x768 to 1366x768 with
27 > > xfce4's Display settings, but when I disconnect and reconnect to the
28 > > HDTV it displays at 1024x768 again. Do you know how to select the
29 > > output resolution for an external screen permanently? Is this done in
30 > > xorg.conf?
31 >
32 > This is, I'd guess, a "preferred" video mode announced through EDID,
33 > where the TV, even if it supports 1366x768, will anounce 1024x768 as
34 > preferred. You could do the change with a small xrandr one-liner, and
35 > there must be some way to do it through xorg.conf, although I don't know
36 > how.
37 >
38 > In the end, having the output of xrandr (both before and after you
39 > change the video modes) would help *a lot*, as it answers most of our
40 > questions...
41
42 You can set this up either with xranrd entries in your ~/.xprofile or in your
43 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
44
45 First run xrandr -q to see what you get from an xterminal and then manually
46 alter the resolution according to your requirements on each screen, e.g.
47
48 xrandr --output DVI0 --mode 1366x768 --rate 60
49 xrandr --output LVDS1 --primary
50 xrandr --output TV1 --mode 1920x1080
51
52 etc. until you get things as you want them.
53
54 Look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what resolution and refresh rate your
55 card can do, although xrandr -q will show this. The refresh rate is not
56 really required (I think it is automatically set to match the screen
57 resolution).
58
59 You can if you prefer set it up in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
60
61 Name your monitors in your Section "Device":
62 ===========================================
63 Section "Device"
64 [snip ...]
65
66 Identifier "Card0"
67 Driver "radeon"
68 BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
69
70 Option "monitor-VGA" "my 2nd monitor"
71 Option "monitor-LVDS" "my laptop"
72 Option "monitor-TV1" "my TV"
73 EndSection
74 ===========================================
75
76 Then set up the screen resolutions for each monitor:
77 ===================================================
78 Section "Monitor"
79 Identifier "my 2nd monitor"
80 Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768"
81 Option "Position" "1024 0"
82 EndSection
83
84 Section "Monitor"
85 Identifier "my laptop"
86 Option "PreferredMode" "1366x768"
87 Option "LeftOf" "my 2nd monitor"
88 EndSection
89
90 [snip ...]
91 EndSection
92 ===================================================
93
94 Then set up the default screen:
95 ==============================
96 Section "Screen"
97 Identifier "Screen0"
98 Device "Card0"
99 Monitor "my laptop"
100 [snip ...]
102
103 The above is just a guide of course. You can tweak it according to your
104 requirements and see what gives. For more permanent set ups I would tend to
105 use xorg.conf (old habits die hard), but .xprofile may be quicker/easier to
106 try out.
107 --
108 Regards,
109 Mick