From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: External monitor is stretched 4:3
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 09:49:06
1 On 2012-12-01, Grant wrote:
2
3 >> > I've connected my laptop to a lot of HDTV's and whenever I switch
4 >> > the output to display on both screens, black bars appear on the
5 >> > left and right of my laptop screen so it displays at 4:3, and the
6 >> > HDTV output is 16:9 but looks horizontally stretched. Does
7 >> > anyone know how to keep the output at 16:9 on both screens?
8 >> >
9 >> > - Grant
10 >>
11 >> You don't give a lot of information here. Are you using mirrored
12 >> screen or an extended desktop? Also what is the desktop environment or
13 >> window manager you use?
14 >>
15 >> On thing that might help is to provide the output of xrandr.
16 >
17 > I'm using xfce4, but I'm not sure if I'm using a mirrored screen or an
18 > extended desktop. All I do is plug the laptop into the HDTV with an HDMI
19 > cable and hit the keyboard shortcut to switch screens which brings up a
20 > little dialog.
21
22 There is nothing too complex here, if the TV and laptop are showing the
23 same thing, one screen is *mirroring* the other, otherwise, if you see
24 different things in different screens, you're using an extended desktop.
25
26 > I was able to change the resolution from 1024x768 to 1366x768 with xfce4's
27 > Display settings, but when I disconnect and reconnect to the HDTV it
28 > displays at 1024x768 again. Do you know how to select the output
29 > resolution for an external screen permanently? Is this done in
30 > xorg.conf?
31
32 This is, I'd guess, a "preferred" video mode announced through EDID,
33 where the TV, even if it supports 1366x768, will anounce 1024x768 as
34 preferred. You could do the change with a small xrandr one-liner, and
35 there must be some way to do it through xorg.conf, although I don't know
36 how.
37
38 In the end, having the output of xrandr (both before and after you
39 change the video modes) would help *a lot*, as it answers most of our
40 questions...
43 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
44 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/