From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Necessity of installer and complete documentation.
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 21:40:27
1 On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 15:54:58 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> > If you want to install the same group of packages on multiple
5 >> > machines, create a set and copy it to /etc/portage/sets. I have a
6 >> > base set that I install on everything, containing all the things I
7 >> > always fond useful, and a desktop set for, well, you can probably
8 >> > guess.
9 >>
10 >> Just be careful about uninstalling sets. For whatever reason portage
11 >> doesn't manage dependencies when you do this.
12 >
13 > Do you mean that depclean doesn't remove them?
16 The opposite. If you uninstall a set, portage will remove everything
17 in the set even if something else that is installed still needs it.
18 Removing a package with --depclean doesn't have this problem.
19
20 There is no reason this couldn't be fixed - it is just something to
21 watch out for.
22
23 Another option to consider is creating your own overlay with some
24 meta-packages in it. Then when you do a new install the first thing
25 you do is pull in that overlay and you get those meta-packages along
26 with whatever else you want to override. Come to think of it, I might
27 just go do that...
30 Rich