From: tastytea <tastytea+gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ebuild: How to deal with external repositories properly (best practise)?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:53:50
1 On 2020-07-28 06:47+0200 Ramon Fischer <Ramon_Fischer@×××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > […]
4 > The thing I am concerned about, is, that I am pulling something from
5 > an external source, which I am installing on my system and giving it
6 > root privileges[4].
7 >
8 > The only best practise I can think of, is, to fork the external
9 > repository, linking the ebuild to my fork and updating it on demand,
10 > so I have full control over it.
11 >
12 > Would this be the way to do it?
13
14 You can mask all packages from a repository in
15 /etc/portage/package.mask/ with
16 */*::repo-name
17 and unmask the packages you want in /etc/portage/package.unmask/ with
18 x11-misc/drm_master_util::repo-name
19 or just the version you want with
20 =x11-misc/drm_master_util-9999::repo-name
21 .
22
23 The maintainer of the repo could still replace the ebuild with a
24 malware installer.