From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Any thoughts on Intel Skylake SGX?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:30:54
1 On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 24 Feb 2016 19:08:42 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 4:05 AM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
4 >> > Well my concern was more that SGX would provide leverage for even more
5 >> > eavesdropping, rather than prohibit it.
6 >>
7 >> Yeah, I'm one of those persons who tends to consider most fears of
8 >> TPMs and UEFI overblown, but these CPUs that almost have independent
9 >> CPUs inside with full RAM+hardware access which are secured against
10 >> the main CPU do concern me quite a bit.
11 >
12 > You have to see this from a demand angle of the computing market. I suspect
13 > Intel is just responding to market demand for 'better security'. For big
14 > corporates better security means protection from internal (employees) as well
15 > as external threats. Most CIOs would sleep comfortably in the thought that
16 > they can blame Intel when things go sideways and try to keep their jobs among
17 > the blame-fest and ricochets that ensues. Of course our concept of security
18 > (who we trust with our computing) is orthogonal to your average CIO's out
19 > there who are invariably acting as a procurement agent. Dare I observe, we do
20 > not really feature as a target market for Intel.
23 All they need to do is provide the private key associated with the CPU
24 to the owner upon purchase. In the case of a corporate computer, the
25 corporation gets the keys to the PC.
26
27 Most people wouldn't bother making any use of the key. However, those
28 who are interested could sign libreboot or whatever with it and now
29 they have full control over their PC. Indeed, they could then use
30 that control to ensure that nobody else goes tampering with their PC,
31 which is in fact the intended purpose of this feature anyway.
32
33 The problem is that Intel's solution effectively gives them a
34 back-door into everybody's PC.
37 Rich