From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Any thoughts on Intel Skylake SGX?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:06:45
1 On Wednesday 24 Feb 2016 19:08:42 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 4:05 AM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Well my concern was more that SGX would provide leverage for even more
4 > > eavesdropping, rather than prohibit it.
5 >
6 > Yeah, I'm one of those persons who tends to consider most fears of
7 > TPMs and UEFI overblown, but these CPUs that almost have independent
8 > CPUs inside with full RAM+hardware access which are secured against
9 > the main CPU do concern me quite a bit.
10
11 You have to see this from a demand angle of the computing market. I suspect
12 Intel is just responding to market demand for 'better security'. For big
13 corporates better security means protection from internal (employees) as well
14 as external threats. Most CIOs would sleep comfortably in the thought that
15 they can blame Intel when things go sideways and try to keep their jobs among
16 the blame-fest and ricochets that ensues. Of course our concept of security
17 (who we trust with our computing) is orthogonal to your average CIO's out
18 there who are invariably acting as a procurement agent. Dare I observe, we do
19 not really feature as a target market for Intel.
20
21 PS. Thanks Max for sharing a good article on this topic. I am interested to
22 see if similar analysis has been performed on the AMD offerings.
25 Regards,
26 Mick