From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing problems
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 18:34:16
1 151102 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > I had so many problems with hplip I stopped using it. I found another way
3 > to use my hp CP1025nw with foomatic and that works trouble-free.
4 > It's a driver for Laserjet printers, it won't work on deskjets AFAIK.
5 > The driver is foo2zjs: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ , wh uses Ghostscript.
6 > I looked and it looks like that won't help you.
7
8 Yes, they all seem to be for laser printers. I do very little printing,
9 but once or twice a year need to print something,
10 so my cheap little HP DJ 2510 is adequate.
11
12 The basic problem is now clear : this printer won't print draft quality,
13 but leaves blank bands across the output (no, it's not an old cartridge).
14 Therefore, something has to tell it to print 'high-quality' or 'best'.
15
16 In Mint, when that is set via the 631 menu, printing works correctly :
17 I can print text files via Gvim (icon or :ha ) & Gedit, .odt via LO
18 & PDF via Evince ; Gedit & Evince have their own quality settings.
19
20 In Gentoo, the 631 setting has no effect, so all printing is draft.
21 Only Kwrite has its own quality setting, which does work properly for text.
22 In addition, the icon doesn't work in Gvim, tho' :ha does.
23
24 So for everyday purposes, I can print anything by rebooting into Mint.
25 However, I'm not happy that there's a bug (or more) of some sort in Gentoo.
26 I'm not at all sure where it could be or how to report it.
27 It cb caused by the difference in desktops, Xfce on Mint, Fluxbox on Gentoo :
28 perhaps the bigger desktop managers do the job themselves,
29 whereas something else needs fixing with the lightweight Fluxbox.
30
31 Further comments mb useful to everyone.
32
33 PS thankyou to Dale, whose general experience is similar to my own.
37 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
38 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
39 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca