From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This is weird. upgrade and downgrade at the same time. ???
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:58:20
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 >Dale schreef:
7 Who is this schreef guy? I'm just Dale.
10 >>Hi guys, and Holly,
11 >>
12 >>I ran a revdep-rebuild on my main rig and it says it needs to do this:
16 >>>[ebuild UD] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.10.1-r2 [2.12.2]
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >>OK, the "U" means Upgrade right? The "D" means downgrade right? What
21 >>the heck is going on here? How is it going to upgrade then downgrade
22 >>and why?
26 >It's not going to "upgrade, then downgrade" It means that the upgrade
27 >*is* a downgrade from the version currently installed.
31 Oh, I see. Sort of looks funny though. LOL
32
33 >This can happen for a number of reasons, but all the reasons relate to
34 >the currently-installed package being "illegal" on your system in
35 >Portage's view.
36 >
37 >For example:
38 >
39 >1. You installed the current version with "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~arch" on the
40 >command line; because this is a temporary setting that Portage doesn't
41 >remember after a new shell login, when a global Portage search is later
42 >run, Portage sees that only stable packages are "legal" and downgrades
43 >the upgrade;
47 I never do this.
48
49 >2. The package has changed status since installation and is no longer
50 >legal (for example, the dev team has discovered major problems and hard
51 >masked the package, making it legal on _no-one's_ system-- this happened
52 >to me yesterday with the bash upgrade);
53 >
54 >3. The package that uses this package as a dependency cannot use this
55 >version of the currently-installed lib as a dependency (has a hard
56 >version dependency), so the package must be downgraded to serve as a
57 >dependency for the package in your world file that's demanding it.
58 >
59 >Etc., etc, enz.
63 Mine was in package.keywords for some reason. I dunno. A ghost
64 maybe???? LOL
67 >You see that "using exisiting /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files"?
68 >
69 >That means that you previously ran revdep-rebuild -p and the system is
70 >using that output to run the actual rebuild.
74 Yea, I just used the up arrow and bash history. I usually rm the files
75 before I run revdep. The first time anyway.
79 >Do an emerge -upDtv gnome-vfs (after the downgrade, if you allow it).
80 >
81 >That should show you what is bringing it in (the --tree view), and the
82 >USE flags that package is using It's possible that you have the "gnome"
83 >USE flag enabled for a package that "doesn't need it", or another USE
84 >flag-- "eds" comes to mind" that forces the dependency.
85 >
86 >Hope this helps.
87 >
88 >Holly
92 Well, I took it out of package.keyword and this is what I get now.
93
94 > root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild -p
95 >
96 > Checking reverse dependencies...
97 > Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by any package update,
98 > will be recompiled.
99 >
100 > Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
101 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)
102 >
103 > Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
104 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)
105 >
106 > Checking dynamic linking consistency...
107 > done.
108 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)
109 >
110 > Assigning files to ebuilds... Nothing to rebuild
111 >
112 > Evaluating package order... done.
113 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)
114 >
115 > Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
116 > root@smoker / #
119 It works and it didn't change anything. Oh well. It works, I'm happy.
120
121 Thanks
122
123 Dale
124 :-)
129 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
130
131 I have four rigs:
132
133 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
134 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
135 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive.
136 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive.
137
138 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
141 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list