From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This is weird. upgrade and downgrade at the same time. ???
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:15:53
1 Dale schreef:
2 >
3 > Hi guys, and Holly,
4 >
5 > I ran a revdep-rebuild on my main rig and it says it needs to do this:
6 >
7 >> [ebuild UD] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.10.1-r2 [2.12.2]
11 > OK, the "U" means Upgrade right? The "D" means downgrade right? What
12 > the heck is going on here? How is it going to upgrade then downgrade
13 > and why?
14
15 It's not going to "upgrade, then downgrade" It means that the upgrade
16 *is* a downgrade from the version currently installed.
17
18 This can happen for a number of reasons, but all the reasons relate to
19 the currently-installed package being "illegal" on your system in
20 Portage's view.
21
22 For example:
23
24 1. You installed the current version with "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~arch" on the
25 command line; because this is a temporary setting that Portage doesn't
26 remember after a new shell login, when a global Portage search is later
27 run, Portage sees that only stable packages are "legal" and downgrades
28 the upgrade;
29
30 2. The package has changed status since installation and is no longer
31 legal (for example, the dev team has discovered major problems and hard
32 masked the package, making it legal on _no-one's_ system-- this happened
33 to me yesterday with the bash upgrade);
34
35 3. The package that uses this package as a dependency cannot use this
36 version of the currently-installed lib as a dependency (has a hard
37 version dependency), so the package must be downgraded to serve as a
38 dependency for the package in your world file that's demanding it.
39
40 Etc., etc, enz.
43 > Here's the whole thing.
44 >
45 >> root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild -p
46 >>
47 <snip>
48 >>
49 >> Collecting system binaries and libraries... using existing
50 >> /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files.
51 >>
52 <snip>
55 > Can someone clear this one up for me? I'm a little more confused than
56 > normal on this one.
57
58 You see that "using exisiting /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files"?
59
60 That means that you previously ran revdep-rebuild -p and the system is
61 using that output to run the actual rebuild.
62
63 It's quite possible that the previous --pretend was run before you
64 upgraded gnome-vfs, and the output of course does not know that the
65 upgrade has occurred (since it's using old output, rather than checking
66 the entire tree again).
67
68 I would say either remove all the /root/.revdep-* files in the tree and
69 run revdep-rebuild again (with or without -p, if you use -p then you'll
70 have to run it again without to actually perform the rebuild), or just
71 downgrade and then when you run another emerge -uaDtv world, you will
72 likely be offered the upgrade again-- and since you're using the --tree
73 option, you will be able to see what's bringing in gnome-vfs.
76 > While I am at it. I don't use Gnome so why is it installing it? I use
77 > KDE.
78
79 Do an emerge -upDtv gnome-vfs (after the downgrade, if you allow it).
80
81 That should show you what is bringing it in (the --tree view), and the
82 USE flags that package is using It's possible that you have the "gnome"
83 USE flag enabled for a package that "doesn't need it", or another USE
84 flag-- "eds" comes to mind" that forces the dependency.
85
86 Hope this helps.
87
88 Holly