From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prelink on a already fast system
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:06:34
1 Petri Rosenström wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I was curious. I have this new rig and was wondering if prelinking would
5 >> help any. It's a 4 core AMD 3.2Ghz CPU with 4Gbs, soon to be 8Gbs, of ram
6 >> and a SATA 3 hard drive. On a modern system, would prelink make anything
7 >> that much faster? Is it worth installing in this system?
8 >>
9 >> Thoughts? Opinions? Personal experience?
10 >>
11 >> Thanks.
12 >>
13 >> Dale
14 >>
15 >> :-) :-)
16 >>
17 >> P. S. Ram is ordered and should be here in a couple days. Having Newegg
18 >> about 100 miles away is pretty neat. :-D
22 > Hi,
23 >
24 > I have U2300, 3Gb, 120gb SSD and I tried prelinkin on my system. I
25 > didn't notice any improvement.
26 >
27 > Best regards
28 > Petri
32 I read up on what it does and I sort of think it won't make much
33 difference. I'm about to have 8Gbs of ram here and I figure it might
34 help on the first load but after that, it will be cached in memory and
35 very fast anyway. I'm not to surprised that you didn't see any
36 difference in speed.
37
38 I used it on a older and pretty slow rig once and it did help. I think
39 it was 800Mhz with 512Mbs of ram. It also had some much slower IDE
40 drives too. It wasn't a huge difference but you could tell the difference.
41
42 Thanks for the reply. Wait and see if anyone else thinks it would make
43 anything faster or not.
44
45 Dale
46