From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prelink on a already fast system
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:51:21
1 On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:04:38 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I used it on a older and pretty slow rig once and it did help. I think
4 > it was 800Mhz with 512Mbs of ram. It also had some much slower IDE
5 > drives too. It wasn't a huge difference but you could tell the
6 > difference.
7
8 Some of the googling I did in the wake of the glibc-2.13 debacle
9 indicated that prelinking makes far less difference wih newer kernels
10 anyway. Even the old slow box wouldn't get much benefit from it.
11
12 I disabled it because of glibc and won't be re-enabling it, but I might
13 give it a try on this netbook to see if it makes a discernable difference
14 with a slow CPU and slow drive, or I'll buy it a SSD.