From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prelink on a already fast system
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:51:35
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:04:38 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >> I used it on a older and pretty slow rig once and it did help. I think
6 >> it was 800Mhz with 512Mbs of ram. It also had some much slower IDE
7 >> drives too. It wasn't a huge difference but you could tell the
8 >> difference.
9 >>
10 > Some of the googling I did in the wake of the glibc-2.13 debacle
11 > indicated that prelinking makes far less difference wih newer kernels
12 > anyway. Even the old slow box wouldn't get much benefit from it.
13 >
14 > I disabled it because of glibc and won't be re-enabling it, but I might
15 > give it a try on this netbook to see if it makes a discernable difference
16 > with a slow CPU and slow drive, or I'll buy it a SSD.
20 Sounds like it isn't worth the trouble anymore. I think I'll leave it
21 alone. The new ram may make some things faster tho.
22
23 Thanks.
24
25 Dale