From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Prelink on a already fast system
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:57:01
1 On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:04:38 -0600, Dale wrote:
9 >>> I used it on a older and pretty slow rig once and it did help. I think
10 >>> it was 800Mhz with 512Mbs of ram. It also had some much slower IDE
11 >>> drives too. It wasn't a huge difference but you could tell the
12 >>> difference.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >> Some of the googling I did in the wake of the glibc-2.13 debacle
16 >> indicated that prelinking makes far less difference wih newer kernels
17 >> anyway. Even the old slow box wouldn't get much benefit from it.
18 >>
19 >> I disabled it because of glibc and won't be re-enabling it, but I might
20 >> give it a try on this netbook to see if it makes a discernable difference
21 >> with a slow CPU and slow drive, or I'll buy it a SSD.
26 > Sounds like it isn't worth the trouble anymore. I think I'll leave it
27 > alone. The new ram may make some things faster tho.
28 >
29 > Thanks.
30 >
31 > Dale
32 >
36 I have just upgraded my laptop to 8GB (90$ ebay ddr3).
37 I now use tmpfs on /var/tmp and /tmp/ and run catalyst with all sorts of
38 experiments.
39 Take care I needed to provide more inodes to /var/tmp/ . with
40 nr_inodes=500K,size=80%
41 the default was 204K.
42
43 Regards,