From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:41:51
1 On 16/02/2014 17:46, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2014-02-15 3:32 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> For Slackware, I have no idea. For Debian, no the only options were[1]:
4 >>
5 >> 1. sysvinit (status quo)
6 >> 2. systemd
7 >> 3. upstart
8 >> 4. openrc (experimental)
9 >> 5. One system on Linux, something else on non-linux
10 >> 6. multiple
11 >>
12 >> It should also be noted that no one in the TC voted OpenRC above
13 >> systemd AND upstart, and that while a couple voted systemd below
14 >> everything else, it can be argued that it was a tactical vote.
15 >>
16 >> Regards.
17 >>
18 >> [1]https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/
19 >
20 > I would really, really, REALLY like to see a thorough, civil debate
21 > involving those far more knowledgeable than I on the pros and cons of
22 > systemd vs OpenRC...
23 >
24 > As it seems to me, the Debian OpenRC page says that the cons are not
25 > nearly as large as the systemd proponents would have us believe.
26 >
27 > https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/openrc
30 I don't know much about systemd, I do know openrc.
31
32 Thus far, the only real actual benefit I have seen of systemd that is a
33 real issue that really affects me is consolekit. It's not exactly the
34 best piece of software out there, comparable to HAL and how it was
35 replaced by udev. So systemd replaces and fixes consolekit by providing
36 logind.
37
38 As for all the other supposed benefits of systemd - I don't see them in
39 my world; perhaps they do exist in someone else's worls, I can't really
40 comment on that. But they don't exist in mine and therefore that makes
41 systemd's solutions theoretical for me.
42
43 Everything I might like in systemd is already implemented in OpenRC so I
44 have no compelling need to switch. Besides, my computers do not break
45 when they boot and shutdown, service management works reliably and well,
46 there are no race conditions on boot that affect me and I still to this
47 day do not understand why I would need cgroups at all.
48
49 Whatever problems Red Hat are trying to solve in the Red Hat space are
50 problems that do not affect me, so I do not need Red Hat's solution. As
51 for Gnome, I have yet to see a valid reason why Gnome *must* use
52 systemd; that is simply not true at all.
53
54 Systemd is there, Gnome decided to use it. the Gnome team could just as
55 easily have decided to not use it, or use bits of it, or whatever. Using
56 systemd in Gnome was a choice, not something that had to be done due to
57 a constraint.
58
59 So overall, systemd might very well solve a particular vertical problem
60 (point to them if it does), but I truly do not see how it can be the
61 OneTrueInitSystem, the One That In The Darkness Binds Us.
62
63 My 0.02 millicents
67 Alan McKinnon
68 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com