From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5 stuff and media-libs/mlt conflict
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 09:43:59
1 On Tuesday 05 January 2016 19:09:10 lee wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> writes:
3 > > On Tuesday 05 January 2016 14:34:38 lee wrote:
4 > >> Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 > >> > On Tuesday 05 January 2016 04:26:20 Dale wrote:
6 > >> >> Howdy,
7 > >> >>
8 > >> >> I was going to try out some of the KDE5 stuff just to see if I'm
9 > >> >> going
10 > >> >> to like it or not. Anyway, I added a BUNCH of stuff to a keywords
11 > >> >> file
12 > >> >> related to KDE and got past that part. I think I got them all. Now
13 > >> >> I
14 > >> >
15 > >> >> get this:
16 > >> > --->8
17 > >> >
18 > >> > I was afraid to mess up my KDE4 system with KDE5 in some sort of
19 > >> > parallel
20 > >> > fashion, so I found some spare disk space and installed KDE5 into it,
21 > >> > using the kde overlay and the .../desktop/plasma profile. It's much
22 > >> > easier to
23 > >>
24 > >> How did you manage to install that? I tried it yesterday (without the
25 > >> overlays) and found it impossible to resolve the dependency problems,
26 > >> so
27 > >> I ended up installing the 'normal' kde (I'm running out of time). I'd
28 > >> rather switch that over to plasma from the beginning.
29 > >
30 > > I found I needed the overlay. It greatly simplifies the dependencies. It
31 > > still isn't perfect, as changes occur during development, but it's
32 > > definitely well worth having.
33 > >
34 > > Here's my current package.keywords:
35 > > [...]
36 > >
37 > > I've no doubt that after the next overlay update I'll have to add or
38 > > remove some things.
39 >
40 > It seemed to me that it's daring to try this because it's a work in
41 > progress, and with the overly, it seemed to be even worse. So I went
42 > with the "normal" kde when I found out that plasma it doesn't work.
43 > That's already painful to install. Install on a slow machine, and you
44 > can't even try much simply because it takes too long.
45
46 That's why I wanted to keep it separate. By building it in a chroot I could
47 forget about it while it was emerging and continue using the main system.
48
49 > Should I try to upgrade? That might take another day, which I don't
50 > have ...
51
52 I wouldn't. As you say, it's nowhere near finished yet and it's likely to
53 make an awful mess of your existing setup.
56 Rgds
57 Peter