From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE5 stuff and media-libs/mlt conflict
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 18:10:09
1 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Tuesday 05 January 2016 14:34:38 lee wrote:
4 >> Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >> > On Tuesday 05 January 2016 04:26:20 Dale wrote:
6 >> >> Howdy,
7 >> >>
8 >> >> I was going to try out some of the KDE5 stuff just to see if I'm going
9 >> >> to like it or not. Anyway, I added a BUNCH of stuff to a keywords file
10 >> >> related to KDE and got past that part. I think I got them all. Now I
11 >> >
12 >> >> get this:
13 >> > --->8
14 >> >
15 >> > I was afraid to mess up my KDE4 system with KDE5 in some sort of
16 >> > parallel
17 >> > fashion, so I found some spare disk space and installed KDE5 into it,
18 >> > using the kde overlay and the .../desktop/plasma profile. It's much
19 >> > easier to
20 >> How did you manage to install that? I tried it yesterday (without the
21 >> overlays) and found it impossible to resolve the dependency problems, so
22 >> I ended up installing the 'normal' kde (I'm running out of time). I'd
23 >> rather switch that over to plasma from the beginning.
24 >
25 > I found I needed the overlay. It greatly simplifies the dependencies. It
26 > still isn't perfect, as changes occur during development, but it's definitely
27 > well worth having.
28 >
29 > Here's my current package.keywords:
30 > [...]
31 >
32 > I've no doubt that after the next overlay update I'll have to add or remove
33 > some things.
34
35 It seemed to me that it's daring to try this because it's a work in
36 progress, and with the overly, it seemed to be even worse. So I went
37 with the "normal" kde when I found out that plasma it doesn't work.
38 That's already painful to install. Install on a slow machine, and you
39 can't even try much simply because it takes too long.
40
41 Should I try to upgrade? That might take another day, which I don't
42 have ...