From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is a wiki what I'm after?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:56:16
1 On November 11, 2005 11:33 pm Andrew Lowe was like:
2 >      A wiki is one of the first things to come to mind. I'm contemplating
3 > setting a wiki up on my trusty little firewall/email/squid/dns....
4 > server, scanning the clipping, creating an entry in the wiki, placing,
5
6 By all means consider using your 'puter to help with your filing. The wiki
7 might well be a good idea. However please don't underestimate the power of
8 your memory.
9
10 One technique that I sometimes find useful is to collect things based on
11 criteria that are apparently irrelevant to what I am doing, but appeal to the
12 senses. For instance I might, in your situation, sort the material based on
13 arbitrary criteria, such as "Can I see an indoor plant in this photo?" or
14 "Does this text mention the eating of food?" by remembering one thing about
15 the document you stand a good chance of remembering the other things, and you
16 will also stand a good chance of remembering where you put it.
17
18 Decorate the files and boxes too. The decorations don't necessarily have to
19 be relevant. Wallpaper scraps, colourful pictures of animals, unusual
20 handwriting - whatever it takes to get the stuff through your visual cortex
21 or your fingers and to get your memory working the way it wants to.
22
23 Of course different techniques may work better for you. Go to the library and
24 get a book or two on improving your memory, clutter reduction, whatever. Use
25 the ones that help and ditch the ones that don't. Find what works for you.
26 Then, if you still need to, set up an electronic database that thinks the way
27 you like to.
28
29 Robert
30 --
31 Robert Persson
32
33 "Don't use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults."
34 (US Air Force Instruction 91-111, 1 Oct 1997)
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list