From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 21:32:39
1 On Wed, 09 May 2012 04:52:57 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I was thinking the same thing about the speed and them lasting longer
5 > because of the slower speed. I mean, it's less wear and less heat.
6 > I'd just hate to buy one and it be a piece of junk or something else I
7 > wasn't expecting to be wrong. I wish I could afford server grade.
8 > Weeeeee!!
9
10 My thoughts these days is that nobody really makes a bad drive anymore.
11 Like cars[1], they're all good and do what it says on the box. Same
12 with bikes[2].
13
14 A manufacturer may have some bad luck and a product range is less than
15 perfect, but even that is quite rare and most stuff ups can be fixed
16 with new firmware. So it's all good.
17
18 For video, I would advise you invest in gobs and gobs of RAM (the stuff
19 is dirt cheap these days). Have more RAM than the biggest video you
20 will watch (so go for 8G minimum) and the entire video will fit in
21 memory = read the disc once and watch.
22
23 Funny lags in video just go away. That's what I did with my HP
24 MicroServers - maxed out the RAM to 8G and bought 4 x 3T WD 5400
25 drives. It runs FreeNAS (built on FreeBSD) with ZFS = shove the drives
26 in and let them software figure out what the blazes to do. Over the
27 years I've gotten sick and tired of pampering with disk arrays and
28 treating them like fragile china that must be molly-coddled. What I
29 want is lots of storage that will mail me when it detects issues.
32 Alan McKinnnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com