From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 22:26:30
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wed, 09 May 2012 04:52:57 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I was thinking the same thing about the speed and them lasting longer
6 >> because of the slower speed. I mean, it's less wear and less heat.
7 >> I'd just hate to buy one and it be a piece of junk or something else I
8 >> wasn't expecting to be wrong. I wish I could afford server grade.
9 >> Weeeeee!!
10 >
11 > My thoughts these days is that nobody really makes a bad drive anymore.
12 > Like cars[1], they're all good and do what it says on the box. Same
13 > with bikes[2].
14 >
15 > A manufacturer may have some bad luck and a product range is less than
16 > perfect, but even that is quite rare and most stuff ups can be fixed
17 > with new firmware. So it's all good.
20 That's my thoughts too. It doesn't matter what brand you go with, they
21 all have some sort of failure at some point. They are not built to last
22 forever and there is always the random failure, even when a week old.
23 It's usually the loss of important data and not having a backup that
24 makes it sooooo bad. I'm not real picky on brand as long as it is a
25 company I have heard of.
26
27 Now if someone posts that there is a bad design for some set of drives,
28 I would avoid that. If there are people that have a unusual high
29 failure rate then maybe an exception to the rule is needed. That's rare
30 tho. Anyone want to buy a Yugo for full price? lol I wouldn't.
34 > For video, I would advise you invest in gobs and gobs of RAM (the stuff
35 > is dirt cheap these days). Have more RAM than the biggest video you
36 > will watch (so go for 8G minimum) and the entire video will fit in
37 > memory = read the disc once and watch.
38 >
39 > Funny lags in video just go away. That's what I did with my HP
40 > MicroServers - maxed out the RAM to 8G and bought 4 x 3T WD 5400
41 > drives. It runs FreeNAS (built on FreeBSD) with ZFS = shove the drives
42 > in and let them software figure out what the blazes to do. Over the
43 > years I've gotten sick and tired of pampering with disk arrays and
44 > treating them like fragile china that must be molly-coddled. What I
45 > want is lots of storage that will mail me when it detects issues.
49 I got that beat a long time ago. I started out with 4Gbs originally. I
50 found out that a 64 bit OS uses a bit more memory so, I got another
51 4Gbs. Then newegg had a sale on a pair of 4gb sticks and I got them.
52 I'm at 16Gbs right now. I need to ramp up drive space to match up with
53 my memory space. I'm maxed out on ram but I got SATA ports that are
54 empty. We can't have that can we? lol
55
56 Dale
57
61 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
62 how you interpreted my words!
63
64 Miss the compile output? Hint:
65 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"