From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 23:39:33
1 On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >> My thoughts these days is that nobody really makes a bad drive anymore.
5 >> Like cars[1], they're all good and do what it says on the box. Same
6 >> with bikes[2].
7 >>
8 >> A manufacturer may have some bad luck and a product range is less than
9 >> perfect, but even that is quite rare and most stuff ups can be fixed
10 >> with new firmware. So it's all good.
13 > That's my thoughts too.  It doesn't matter what brand you go with, they
14 > all have some sort of failure at some point.  They are not built to last
15 > forever and there is always the random failure, even when a week old.
16 > It's usually the loss of important data and not having a backup that
17 > makes it sooooo bad.  I'm not real picky on brand as long as it is a
18 > company I have heard of.
21 One thing to keep in mind is statistics. For a single drive by itself
22 it hardly matters anymore what you buy. You cannot predict the
23 failure. However if you buy multiple identical drives at the same time
24 then most likely you will either get all good drives or (possibly) a
25 bunch of drives that suffer from similar defects and all start failing
26 at the same point in their life cycle. For RAID arrays it's
27 measurably best to buy drives that come from different manufacturing
28 lots, better from different factories, and maybe even from different
29 companies. Then, if a drive fails, assuming the failure is really the
30 fault of the drive and not some local issue like power sources or ESD
31 events, etc., it's less likely other drives in the box will fail at
32 the same time.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark