From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shorewall configuration
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 14:54:36
1 On Tuesday, 1 March 2022 12:35:17 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I use net-firewall/shorewall to protect my machines; it's served me well for
5 > many years. My ISP gave me a FritzBox modem-router recently, in the hope of
6 > better media streaming, but it's spamming my LAN server with HTTP requests
7 > (port 80). The other machines are left alone; just this one is affected.
8 >
9 > The many log entries are not a serious problem, just a nuisance, but I'd
10 > rather not have to put up with them.
11 >
12 > AVM, the modem's maker, says I should set shorewall up on this machine to
13 > accept either port-80 requests or unsolicited packets of type 0x88e1. That
14 > type is HomePlug Management, apparently, and the FritzBox is looking for any
15 > such devices on the LAN. I don't know why it's picked on this one machine
16 > to query, unless it's because it has the lowest IP address.
17 >
18 > Questions:
19 > 1. Will I be opening myself to external HTTP attacks if I open that port to
20 > the modem-router? I assume I will, though no such service is running - at
21 > the moment.
22 > 2. As far as I can see, shorewall filters only on ports, not packet types.
23 > If so, how can I specify a packet type to it?
24 > 3. Does anyone here know how to specify HomePlug in shorewall?
25 >
26 > Google hasn't helped much, nor has the Shorewall website, so I hope someone
27 > here has experience of this.
28
29 Have you seen this regarding the specific ethertypes:
30
31 https://superuser.com/questions/1574757/unknown-ethertypes-0x88e1-and-0x8912-from-my-fritz-box
32
33 Sadly I don't know anything about Shorewall, but you can look at configuring
34 netfilter with some additional hand-crafted rules to drop the above ethertypes
35 without logging them.
36
37 However, what I would prefer to do in your circumstances is find if your router
38 is supported by OpenWRT firmware and configure SQM with FQ-Codel in it to manage
39 bufferbloat. I expect this should improve your streaming better than whatever
40 AVM have configured in the box.